Donald Trump is the 45th and current president of the United States.

Never discuss politics or religion in polite company? Bollocks! Let's get in there and talk about politics. We'll talk about religion elsewhere.
memoid
Site Admin

Donald Trump is the 45th and current president of the United States.

Post by memoid » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:20 pm

I feel like we need to start this forum on the topic of the 45th and current president of the United States. He's an extremely polarizing figure—and not merely amongst Americans. Globally, Donald Trump stimulates arousal. He arouses extremism, suspicion, ire, and a million other feelings amongst people. I believe him to be hired talent, myself, and a heel. In professional wrestling, a heel is a wrestler who portrays a villain or a "bad guy" and acts as an antagonist to the faces, who are the heroic protagonist or "good guy" characters. What I want to know is: who are the faces? Who are the good guys to Trump's role as the heel? And, is it working? Is he actually the face or the heel. In pro-wrestling, the heel can suddenly become the face if that's what the narrative requires. It's pretty fluid. Help me explore this and figure this out.

noisefilters

Re: Donald Trump is the 45th and current president of the United States.

Post by noisefilters » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Couple of things:

Global Trend
Trump is the US's local symptom/version of a global trend (Duterte in Philipines, Bolsonaro in Brazil, Salvini is rising in Italy, Le Pen in France and even Farage/Brexit in UK). Trump is nothing more than a global trend.

We Get The President We Deserve
When you mix the narcissism and tone-deafness of Obama in a Kardashian era of Instagram - you get Trump.
Its obvious to me.

Mike Judge Was Right
The movie Idiocracy was actually prophetic. It was prophecy.
The President in Idiocracy (a wrestling persona) aligns with your thesis.

chris

Re: Donald Trump is the 45th and current president of the United States.

Post by chris » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:32 pm

That's a gorgeous reply. I especially agree with the first point, that it's a global trend. And that's why I believe a second term is inevitable. The pendulum is still at full-swing. «Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite»—bien sûr! Finally, Idiocracy is the most prescient film. I'd have preferred President Camacho to Trump, surely. Thanks for posting!